Here is a brief historical survey showing that the world’s “Chess Board” as it was in N.T. times has been restored during the last century. This may not be coincidental. The Lord may have some special purpose in fostering this restoration. Let’s have a look at a few items.
- The Nation of Israel ceased to exist from AD70 to AD1948. Obviously this comes first in our list. It will be noticed that the Nation was in total disbelief in Jesus as their Messiah both then and now.
- The Roman Empire also suffered demolition about AD410, but has been revived in its new form since the Treaty of Rome in 1957. A large percentage of the former Roman Empire is now within the bounds of the European Union.
- The Olympic Games ceased in AD426, but was revived by the Olympic Committee in 1894, and the first Games were held in Greece in 1896.
- The Apostolic Church was replete with Spiritual Gifts until about AD100, when the “dark ages” set in, but there has been a revival of Gifts since 1900.
- Spiritism, the Occult, and Satanism was rife in the Acts period. In AD1850 the Fox sisters of New York produced supposed evidence of communication with spirits by rapping, which later they confessed to be falsehood in 1888. But their “nocturnal games” produced a world-wide revival of interest in spiritism, which persists and grows today.
- Sexual deviations, which were rampant in Rome in the first century, and which, according to Edward Gibbon, contributed to its downfall in the 5th century, was legalised by Act of Parliament in Britain in 1967. Before that prison sentences were applied.
Perhaps there are more examples, but these come to mind as I write. Why does the Lord require a return to the Chess Board as it was in earlier times? Could it be that the vast number of ancient prophecies that remain unfulfilled require this setting for their fulfilment? I present this as a possibility, and will be pleased to hear your comments.